Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Lord's Prayer

Christ always taught people to pray.  We read many accounts, both in the Bible as well as the Book of Mormon, where he teaches the people to pray, as well as how to pray.


"Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, ye must watch and pray always lest ye enter into temptation; for Satan desireth to have you, that he may sift you as wheat.  Therefore ye must always pray unto the Father in my name." (3 Nephi 18:18-19)

Christ taught the ancient people of the Americas to pray to stay away from the dangers of temptation and the awful sin that Satan is constantly exerting upon us.  Prayer can also be a guide for our lives.  It can help us know what direction we should take.

I know in my life, I have turned to prayer often when trying to get answers to questions that I did not understand.  A warm feeling has come over me.  A feeling of peace, comfort, and love.  This feeling lets me know that my Heavenly Father is mindful of me, and it testifies to me every time that Christ is the Savior of the world, and that I am never left alone.  This feeling is ever so clear when I feel like a lost child, or when I need to be surrounded with the Love of my Heavenly Father.  I think often of Jesus Christ, when he was in the most bitter pains known to mankind-I think of his prayer to God.  I think about the sacrifice he made for each of us when he prayed ever so fervently in the Garden of Gethsemane. 
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, a disciple and modern apostle of Christ's Church bears a beautiful testimony of the night that Christ suffered and prayed to His Father for strength...

"In that most burdensome moment of all human history, with blood appearing at every pore and an anguished cry upon His lips, Christ sought Him whom He had always sought—His Father. 'Abba,' He cried, 'Papa,' or from the lips of a younger child, 'Daddy.'

"This is such a personal moment it almost seems a sacrilege to cite it. A Son in unrelieved pain, a Father His only true source of strength, both of them staying the course, making it through the night—together."

I know that our Heavenly Father watches over us.  I know that comforts us and carries us when our burdens are too heavy to lift.

If you have ever felt lost, alone, hopeless, depressed-pray.  Pray to the Father in the name of his son.  Pray that your load may be lifted and that His Son, Jesus Christ will carry you through your trials.  I know he has carried me many times through mine.  I love my Heavenly Father more than I can express.  I love Christ-my brother, for his infinite love for me and my family.  I can't wait until I can see them both again, in all their glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment