Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Even the Flamingos


I had a chance to go to the Zoo with some friends a few weeks ago on our P-day.  While there, we saw a  flamingo who had wandered from the rest of the flamingo clan, just chillin in the pond.  He continued to stretch his neck down into the water, drinking and splashing himself over and over and over and over and over. 

Get the picture? 

  I thought to myself, "how could he be so thirsty when the water is right in front of him?"

As I thought of this thirsty flamingo, it reminded me of some past experiences. 

I grew up a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Also known as the Mormons.  During my early college years, I did not know I was thirsty for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I thought I could easily find happiness through friends, a good job, and a good education.  I searched and searched but still felt that there was something missing in my life.

Soon I found myself wandering from my daily habits of scripture study and prayer.  I also distanced myself from family members who I had been so close to for so long.  Most importantly, I distanced myself from my Savior, Jesus Christ and my Father in Heaven.

I was thirsty for spiritual water, but couldn't find the pond.

I started a new job, and made an incredible new friend.  Her name is Jenn.  She was actually my boss at work.  She began to invite me to events, and pretty soon we had grown close.  She set a great example for me.  I saw that she still had fun while living standards the Lord had set.  She was happy and thrived on teaching others about the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ in her Sunday School class.

She told me that she had a desire to serve a mission, had prayed about it, and received the answer that now was not the time for her to serve a full time mission.  But she was a missionary to me.

She led me back to the water that had been sitting in front of my face!  She helped me regain my testimony through her example and friendship.



Jenn put her whole heart into our friendship and showed me where to find the living water of the gospel.  She taught me the importance of daily conversion and daily study.  Those habits are now ingrained in me and I will never again stray from the arms of my loving Heavenly Father.

I'm grateful for my dear Jenn!  I miss her and am so proud of all the wonderful things she has accomplished in her life. 

I hope you read this, and think of someone that you can help lead back to the water that "springs up unto everlasting life."  Even if that person is yourself!


1 comment: