Tuesday, June 28, 2011

An Effectual Struggle

"And it came to pass that when they had gathered themselves together that he aspake unto them in this wise, saying: O ye, my people, lift up your heads and be comforted; for behold, the time is at hand, or is not far distant, when we shall no longer be in subjection to our enemies, notwithstanding our many strugglings, which have been in vain; yet I trust there bremaineth an effectual struggle to be made.
Therefore, lift up your heads, and rejoice, and put your atrust in bGod."  (Mosiah 7: 18-19)

Challenges are inevitable in life.  Trials that sink us into the depths of despair occupy our lives with impactful force.  Often, I have asked myself, "Why?  My God, Why hast thou forsaken me?"  Then I remember my Savior.  I remember that He does not let go, neither does our beloved Heavenly Father turn His face from our agony. 

When we put our trust in the Lord, the world becomes a little brighter.  Things aren't perfect-and we still feel at times that we are "in subjection to our enemies" whether our enemy be an unfair and unthinkable challenge in life, or Satan and his tempting angels.  But as we turn to the Lord, we will be built up.  We will be pulled up to a higher ground.  Though there will still be "an effectual struggle to be made,"  Christ is walking the path with us. 

I think of my Savior, and the times He has lifted me up.  There is one time I remember specifically, when I felt lost, alone and confused.  I got in my car, and drove around in the dark for miles.  I parked on the side of the road, and walked along a dirt path up to a hill overlooking the city.  I prayed.  I cried and prayed.  I told the Lord I was tired of feeling as if He had abandoned me.  Then, as quickly as the tears came, so did His love.  I felt peace and Love.  I heard these words enter my mind, "You know I Love you, and I am here."  Never again have I had to doubt whether or not the Lord was by my side. 

Elder Bruce R. McConkie spoke these touching words in his final conference talk before his death...
"And as pertaining to Jesus Christ, I testify that he is the Son of the Living God who was crucified for the sins of the world. He is our Lord, our God, and our King. This I know of myself independent of any other person. I am one of his Witnesses. And in the coming day I will feel the nail marks in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears. But I shall not know any better then than I know now that he is God's almighty Son and he is our Savior and Redeemer and that Salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way."

I know that my Savior truly is a King.  One day, I will kneel at His feet, and I shall feel the prints in His sacred palms, where He was crucified to complete the only Atonement for the world.  I trust my Savior to lead and guide me through life, no matter how difficult the path is that He wants me to follow.  I will Follow Him forever, and I will bask in the Love that He surrounds me with daily.


No comments:

Post a Comment