Thursday, March 17, 2011

Amazing Grace


Grace is powerful beyond measure.  My favorite song is Amazing Grace.  I love John Newton for writing it.  He was the captain of an African Slave Ship until he turned to God after reading a book about Christ that he found on board.  During a terrible storm, while he was aboard his ship, he prayed to our Father in Heaven to spare his life and he would serve him.  
He spent the rest of his life serving and fighting the slave trade.  He felt as if he was a wretch... he had been involved in the brutal murdering of men women and children in order to perform his unspeakable job of bringing them to Europe as slaves.  His guilt was immense, and his repentance great.  He turned to the Lord, our Savior Jesus Christ to make him whole.  John Newton's gravestone reads:
    JOHN NEWTON, Clerk [preacher] Once an infidel and libertine A servant of slaves in Africa, Was, by the rich mercy of our Lord and Saviour JESUS CHRIST, restored, pardoned and appointed to preach the Gospel which he had long laboured to destroy. He ministered, Near sixteen years in Olney, in Bucks, And twenty eight years in this Church.

    He wrote the beautiful song about the Grace of our Savior and Redeemer.  This song touches the hearts of many, and has helped my testimony to grow.  I know the Lord loves us and has mercy on us when we make mistakes-no matter how big or how small.  I love the Lord for his sacrifice he has made for each of us individually. 
"My grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."  Ether 12:27

Amazing Grace
John Newton

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

2 comments:

  1. What a powerful posting about the Grace of our Lord and our Savior, Jesus Christ. Sometimes it is difficult to contemplate the complexities of this Grace. It is certainly the result of the immense love our Heavenly Father has for his children. We all need to remember this at all times and strive to follow the commandments and serve the Lord in gratitude of this grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sister Valentine! What a treat to find your blog! I love this message too, and I love the story behind such a powerful song. It's amazing to think about the change that took place in this mans heart and to think that each of us can have our "own" meaningful changes with the Savior as our guide.

    ReplyDelete