Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Who is God?

A few months ago I decided to serve a mission for my church.  I'm a Mormon, and in the Mormon (or LDS) church, young men at the age of 19 are asked to set school, friends, and work aside and serve a full time mission for the Church for a period of two years.  Young women, after the age of 21, are also given this same opportunity to serve for 18 months, if their circumstances allow and if they feel it is right for them.  Well, I grew up a Mormon and have loved every aspect of my religion.  Serving a mission to bring people the same happiness I have had just made sense.  The gospel of Jesus Christ has led me to so many wonderful things in my life, and I wanted to share this same message with the world.  As my enthusiasm to serve a mission grew, my relationship with my Heavenly Father also grew.  I received a letter in the mail from the Headquarters of the LDS Church extending the invitation to serve a full time mission the Nashville, Tennessee mission.  I was thrilled!  Though sad to leave my education and job which I loved, I was excited for the prospect of being in a new place with new people.  I thought, "What an adventure!"  Little did I know, that this was not just a physical adventure; it would be a great spiritual adventure as well. 

I said my farewell to family and friends, and left in January for the Missionary Training Center set up by the Church to train missionaries to be better teachers.  As I was studying my first week, my instructor asked me a question; "Who is our Heavenly Father?"  I gave a simple answer, but the question has stuck with me since.  I have read religious books, like the Bible and the Book of Mormon, and come to this sound statement:

  God is a creator.  He is in all things, and He has all power, knowledge and wisdom.  He is merciful, giving and perfect.  Because of His perfection, He is the only one that can judge us justly-either through Himself, or through those He specifically has given judging authority. God has a body of flesh and blood.  He is an Eternal God and will forever and always have eternal love for us, His children.  His greatest desire is that we return back to Him.  He is our Father, and we, as His offspring have inherited His divine qualities. 
My Father in Heaven knows me individually.  Anyone who reads this blog will know that I stand to testify that He knows each of us.

To all those who do not yet know God, I encourage you to pray to know for yourself if He truly is there.  You will find a warm feeling come into your heart and to your mind-and yes, you too will know that God is your Father, just as He is mine.  Then you and I both can tell the world of His great love for us. 

As a missionary, I have learned more about God than I think I would have ever learned if I had just continued my schooling and work studies.  I have become much closer to Him and it is only through prayer and faith that I could stand where I am today.  There is a lot of work to be done on my part to become the person God wants me to be.  However, I know, that through Him, my life will be a happy one.

1 comment:

  1. "God has a body of flesh and blood."

    I thought it was usually said that the Father has a body of "flesh and bone" rather than "flesh and blood" (see D&C 130:22)?

    ReplyDelete