Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Choice

Life is full of choices.  We're supposed to blog about what is on our minds... and well, this week, this has been one of the things I just can't seem to shake.
When we learn about choices, we think of the basics:

What will I wear today?
Where will I go?
How will I get there?
What will I do?
Who will I be around?

But in real life, the choices are so much more difficult.  The following story is what happened in my life shortly before serving a mission.  It's long-so if you'd like to read, then please do.  But I ask that if you do read this post, you pray for my friend...


Josh and I goofing off at a ward activity

A little over a year ago, I made a friend in my singles ward.  His name was Josh.  We were instant friends.  We use to love to sit at this park that overlooked the valley and talk about all the important things in life.  Families, friends, God, the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and Missions.  One day Josh told me he wanted to serve a mission.  Things in his life were going wonderfully despite the choices he had made the previous few years in his life.  His desire to serve a mission  made his life full of light.  Josh was one of the happiest people I've ever met.  He was always laughing!  His eyes lit up when someone told a joke, or whenever he just smiled.  He had a light I hadn't seen very often in people.

One day, I decided to make a quick pop-over visit to see Josh.  What I thought would be a short and happy visit, ended up being one of the most emotional moments of my life up to this point. 

I had just resolved to serve a mission.  I wasn't going to tell very many people until I turned in my papers, but Josh's desire to serve a mission had such a positive impact on me, that I wanted him to be one of the first people to know.  I remember almost skipping up to his front door and knocking.  His Grandmother answered.  She seemed surprised to see me.  She called Josh downstairs.  When I saw him, my heart sank.  His light was gone.  

Tears welled in my eyes, and spilled down my cheeks.  As he turned to hug me, to comfort me, the reality of what was actually happening made my heart sink.  Josh had turned back to his old drug addictions.

I never saw that light in Josh again.  He continued to make poor choices that led him down a dark and dangerous path.  Many times, I pled with him on the phone to abandon his behaviors and turn to the Lord.  One particular time, I began to cry, pleading with him to tell me where he was at, so that I could come and help him.  All I wanted for Josh was for him to turn to the atonement.  Instead he turned to temptation.
Feelings of despair frequently overwhelmed me as I prayed for guidance to help my poor friend.  Never had I felt so tattered as I watched one of my closest friends fall into the trap of drugs.  He was sent to a drug rehab center for 2 years.  Saying goodbye to Josh was difficult.  As I took pictures with his family at the airport, Josh suddenly grabbed me and gave me a tight hug.  Then, with tears in his eyes he looked at me and said, "I'm so sorry.  I didn't realize how much this would hurt everyone."

I spoke with his mom a few times after that.  They were always tearful reunions and conversations.

He and I will finish our missions around the same time.  I'm on a mission to help others find the light of Christ.  He is on a mission to find the light of Christ he once had. 
If you or anyone you know is struggling with a drug addiction, please get help.  You don't know how much drug abuse can damage your family and those you love. 

http://www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,6629-1-3414-1,00.html
Click Here for Help

3 comments:

  1. I did read and will pray for your friend and you. I hope the rest of your mission goes well and that Josh find his Light again.

    ReplyDelete