Thursday, August 25, 2011

Madeleine


Growing up, I had this great friend, Madeleine.  I remember playing school with her a lot.  One of us would be the teacher, and one would be the student.  I was usually the student.  During one summer, we put our teaching skills to the test.   

The two of us during the awkward phase of Middle School
Young Women's Girls Camp in 2005
With flyers in hand, we walked around the street to all of the parents who had young kids.  We offered to teach their children and hold a "Day Camp" with them.  I don't remember exactly what we taught, or who even came, but I remember it was a lot of fun.  Even though she was a few months younger than me, she taught me a lot.  Some days I didn't want her to teach me anything-but I learned that everything she said was valid-it all made sense! 

I was a messy kid.  My mom would gladly invite Madeleine over to help me clean my room-because she was just SO good at teaching me how to clean!  One day I was too tired to clean, and she said, "You can make your room look cleaner if you make your bed and close your closet door!"  So we made my bed, and closed the closet door.  My mom came in and checked on the room.  Though it wasn't perfect, it looked a lot better. 

Fast forward about 10 years... 

Madeleine and Me September of 2009
The other day I rolled out of bed and said my morning prayers.  I then proceeded to get ready for the day.  As we were getting ready to leave our house, I looked into our room and saw my bed was not made.  It was a sloppy mess of comforter and sheets!   It was like I heard a little voice in my mind..."You can make your room look cleaner if you make your bed..."  Madeleine's voice chimed in at the perfect moment.  I smiled.  Then I remembered the rest of her advice, "And close your closet door!"  I then walked over and closed the closet.  Our room DID look much cleaner! 

The prophets have taught that the things we learn as a child will stick with us for years to come.  Many times I think we assume those are things we learn from our parents.  However, things we learn from our friends will create lifelong habits. 

 I'm grateful to Madeleine for teaching me the lifelong habit of doing the little things to improve the bigger picture.  God bless you!



2 comments:

  1. So true! It is often that little choices we make throughout the day that make the difference. We can extend this to "say your prayers", "read your scriptures", "tell the people you love that you love them!" (you are great at all of these).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post. couldn't agree more. The little things make the big things easier. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete