Tuesday, August 23, 2011

One Stitch at a Time

I live a simple life. 

Wake up at 6:30.  Exercise.  Get ready.  Eat.  Study at 8:00.  Study with my missionary companion at 9:00.  Leave by 10:00.  Work.  Eat.  Work.  Eat.  Work. Come home.  Plan by 9:30.  Sleep. 

I live a simple life. 

However, the things I witness everyday are not simple.  Each day I am responsible for helping others come closer to Christ.  A few weeks ago, we met a woman who had a strong desire to follow her Savior. 

It was not easy.  The adversary knew how to pull her down.  Satan repeatedly tried to distract her from the things that were the most important.  But she knew what she must do.

She needed to continue to do the simple things. 

As she did the simple and small things, like reading her scriptures daily, saying her prayers--her life became complete.  She bonded with her Father in Heaven.  It was a miracle to watch her heart change.  Her life was suddenly filled with love and light.  She smiled all the time and prayed humbly.  I'm so gratefulI to have met this woman.  She has filled my heart with so much gratitude for my Heavenly Father.  I love her.  And I know the Lord loves her too. 

The gospel is like sewing.  You can't just throw fabric in a pile, mix it up, and pull a shirt out like magic.  You must cut the fabric, pin it together, and one stitch at a time, sew the materials to make a complete clothing article. 

As you slowly lead the thread with the needle, the fabric bonds together. 

As the Lord leads us through life, we become bonded to Him.  "That we may be one." (3 Nephi 19:23)

It's the simple things that bond us to our Father.  It is the simple things that will lead us back home to us.  As we stitch our lives in harmony with the Savior, the seams will be unbreakable.

The more simply I live, the more I focus on God.  The more I focus on God, the more I am aware of His divine hand in my life.  This is just one of the many examples of "by small and simple things, great things are brought to pass."  (Alma 37:6)

I am a missionary and disciple of Jesus Christ. 

And I live a simple life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment