Tuesday, August 9, 2011

O Lord, My God

I have a deep love for the Prophet Joseph Smith and his wife, Emma.  I have never worshipped Joseph-I only worship my Heavenly Father and His son, our redeeming Savior.  But I do revere Joseph Smith as one of the greatest men to ever have lived.  His sacrifice and testimony were sealed with his blood.

"On the afternoon of June 27, 1844, the little group of brethren sat silent and disconsolate in the jail. One of the men asked Elder Taylor, who had a rich tenor voice, to sing to them. Soon his voice was raised: 'A poor wayfaring Man of grief hath often crossed me on my way, who sued so humbly for relief that I could never answer nay.' 2 Elder Taylor recollected that the hymn 'was very much in accordance with our feelings at the time for our spirits were all depressed, dull and gloomy.' 3

"Shortly after five o’clock in the afternoon, a large group of attackers stormed the jail, firing their guns at the men inside. Within a few minutes, the foul deed was done. Hyrum Smith was shot first and died almost immediately. Elder Richards miraculously received only a superficial wound; and Elder Taylor, though severely wounded, survived and later became the third President of the Church. The Prophet Joseph ran to the window and was fatally shot. The Prophet of the Restoration and his brother Hyrum had sealed their testimonies with their blood."

Quote Reference:
http://lds.org/manual/teachings-of-presidents-of-the-church-joseph-smith/chapter-46-the-martyrdom-the-prophet-seals-his-testimony-with-his-blood?lang=eng&query=martyrdom+Joseph+Smith#2-36481_000_050

1 comment: