Monday, December 5, 2011

Day #5: Trying to be a Superhero

Today's post is inspired by something my dad wrote me in his email this week. 

He talked about a meeting he attended, in which President Boyd K. Packer spoke.  President Packer reminded the bishops that because they could not do everything, they must choose to do the most important things. 

President Uchtdorf of the First Presidency taught,

"Forget not the difference between a good sacrifice and a foolish sacrifice."


I must remember that I can not do it all.  Just because I am set apart as a missionary, it does not mean I am a super hero. 

Sometimes, we feel like we can do it all.  With a name tag pinned close to my heart, I am constantly reminded that I am the Lord's servant.  Sometimes I interpret that as being an invincible servant.  But I am not.  I am still subject to pain, heart ache, danger, fatigue, and of course-sin.  

On top of that, sometimes I sacrifice something foolish, like safety or obedience, because I think I can handle it.  I view my way as being logically better and smarter than the Lords.  When I rely on myself to fulfill the "superhero" role, hardly anything gets accomplished.  But, when I look up to my Heavenly Father, the advocate- Jesus Christ steps in.  He accomplishes everything that must be done. 

So this month that is something I am focusing on.  I can't do it all.  So I will do the most important thing-trusting my Heavenly Father to lead.   I need to try less to be a "superhero" and rely more on Jesus Christ!  He's the ultimate superhero-the Savior!

1 comment: