Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Day #6: Friends

One important element to the holidays, and to life in general-is having good friends. 

Growing up, I was blessed with some of the greatest friends.  We lived within the same couple of streets, and hung out almost every weekend from the time I was in 6th grade until I was a senior in High School.  All of these friends of mine have been great influences in my life.  They all held high morals and standards.  I owe much of who I am to them. 

Most of them are pictured here:


Though this picture is years old, it reminds me how blessed I am for these great examples.  Since it was taken, many of these friends have served missions.  Cameron and Matt returned home from their missions a little over a year ago.  Lawrence returned home last month.  Matthew received a mission call to serve in Hong Kong, China.  Keith (not pictured) is serving in the Ukraine.  Kurt is serving a mission, along with his Sister Kari, who is in Texas right now.  Marlee has always been a great strength to me.  She has now been married for just over a year.  She was sealed to her husband, Nick, for eternity in the Salt Lake Temple. 

Looking back at the friends I've had throughout my life has been a great reminder during this Holiday season to BE that friend.  As a missionary, I need to love people sincerely, desire their friendship, and treat them as my great childhood friends treated me.  I hope my friends get a chance to read this.  They don't know how much their influence has changed my life.  Because of them, I get to be here on a mission.  I get to see the miracles of the gospel first hand! 

Ever heard of Charity?  It's the pure love of Christ.  My friends held that love for me.  I felt it often.  Even when I did dumb things, or stopped seeing them for a period of time-they were always there for me. 

Our Savior is the same.  When we lose the desire to communicate with Him daily, or when we feel that our worthiness to pray has been diminished-the Savior is there with His infinite love. Now is the perfect time to become friends with the Savior.  He sends us the Holy Spirit that will teach us how to grow closer to Him.

Last night, J and I had the opportunity to have dinner with a young woman named Lori.  She has been through some difficult trials this past year.  When telling us of some of the obstacles she has faced, she said,

"The Holy Ghost and I are buds!
We have some good times together."

That's how our relationship with Christ can be.  We can be best friends even when we feel alone!  When we rely on our Savior, we are lifted up. 




No comments:

Post a Comment