Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Day #7: Counting On Me

So, life is rough.  Right? 

Especially when you've got this bizarre leg pain.  In the process of trying to fix my leg, I also have to work. 

All day. 

Sometimes that can get hard.  We'll use yesterday as an example. 

Yesterday, all I wanted to do was crawl into bed and go to sleep.  The pain in my leg was intense, and I could not find any form of relief.  My eyes wanted to close, and I became exhausted.  We had no success contacting the houses we had previously planned to visit.  I began to count down the hours until I could go home and sleep. 

8 more hours........7........6........5........ and by 4:00 in the afternoon I was done. 
Completely fed up and done. 

As we sat in the car, trying to rummage up some plans for the day, I prayed silently.  I began by pleading with Heavenly Father to just let me go home and lay down.  My body ached to walk.  I couldn't handle sitting anymore...  But as I prayed, I received the confirmation that I could not go home.  I needed to stay and work through the remainder of the day.  In my head, I thought, "Father, please.  I never take a sick day from my leg.  Please let me go home today." 

He answered me..."Joy, go and finish what I have asked you to do.  Instead of praying to go home, pray for My help." 

I sat up in the car, looked at my companion, and asked her if we could pray.  I opened my mouth and asked Heavenly Father to take away some of the pain I was feeling so we could work.  Then I asked for His guidance so we could know where to go.  We found a young man on a piece of paper in the car who we thought we should try to visit.  The closer we got to his home, the more improved my leg felt. 

Then, I remembered a text message from some of the other missionaries.  They told us of a home that housed a lot of college kids in the area.  Coincidentally, it was on our way.  We stopped by the house.  At this point, I had hardly any leg pain.  We walked up to the door, and were warmly received by a young woman. 

We introduced ourselves as the local missionaries, and she invited us to come back and visit with her and some of her friends!  When we left, Sister Jensen and I got in the car and uttered a prayer of gratitude. 

I know that when we feel we are going to fail, that with the Lord's help we succeed.  Sometimes He tries us, to make us humble.  When we are humble, we see miracles in our lives.  We feel the blessings of the Gospel.  We feel the strength of the Savior's grace. 

What is a miracle that you have seen this week?  Because of that miracle, has it changed you?  Has it made you want to be and do more for the Father?

I counted the hours until I could return home.
But Heavenly Father counted on me. 



1 comment:

  1. Keep it up "joybug" ;)
    Your example of pushing on even when things are downright miserable is always on my mind.

    ReplyDelete