Saturday, December 10, 2011

Day #9: I hate bad news

So, this post is one day late. 

Yesterday, I received a phone call from our Mission President.  He asked to speak with me alone.  That's never a phone call you want to get out in the mission field.

My heart started racing as I walked into the other room and closed the door. 

"Sister Valentine, I'm calling because there's been a tragedy.  Someone you were close to has passed away."

My mind began scrolling through all my friends and family that I love.  

"Your mother called today and asked me to call you so you didn't hear about it over facebook.  Deb passed away late last night."

He went on to explain what happened. 

Deb was wonderful.  She was a second mother to anyone that knew her.

One of my first bonding experiences with Deb, was at a Church Young Women's Girls Camp.  I had just finished my junior year of high school.  Deb had been called to be the camp cook for our Ward.  I didn't know her that well.  But her food was delicious!  We never went hungry. 

At the end of our Thursday evening, we had a testimony meeting in which every girl was given the opportunity to share their feelings about the Savior.  I only remember a couple of these testimonies that have been shared over the years, and Deb's was one of them. 

She talked about her gratitude to the Savior.  And then, before she closed, she said this, "We want everyone who enters our home, to feel like it's their home."  It stuck with me.


Years later, when I became close friends with her son, Jason, I understood what Deb meant.  She really made you feel at home there, and she had instilled this motto into her children.  I remember late one night I was visiting with Jason, and I shared this experience I had remembered with Deb.  I told him how much it meant to me that when I was here, I felt like family. 

I will miss Deb.  I wish I could be with her family now to comfort them.  However, I am so grateful for the perspective the gospel brings-that through Temple Blessings, their family will be together again. 

Because of Deb, I learned how to make others feel at home.  Through her countless examples of service, she taught me a lot about charity.  She constantly gave and gave, until she could give no more. 

I hope I can exemplify her example of sincere love and concern for all around me!


1 comment: