Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Do I Go Unnoticed?

I live in one of the greatest cities on earth:  Nashville Tennessee.  Boy oh boy is it green here!  Right now it's winter, so, although it's not green, I still live in a region of Nashville known as Green Hills.  Here, I meet weekly with 5 other sets of missionaries every Wednesday morning.  We make up what is called the Green Hills District.  It is possibly (most likely) the best district in Mission History. 

In our trainings today we talked about trusting in God.

I had to give a portion of the training.  It was nothing spectacular, but I shared the following scripture from the Doctrine and Covenants. 

It reminds me of Luke 12:7  "But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  Fear not therefore; ye are of more value than many sparrows."

I know that our Savior, Jesus Christ loves us and cares abundantly for us.  I know that He trust us, and He wants us to put our trust in Him and Heavenly Father.

A few years ago, I was struggling.  I was fighting a battle that I felt I could not win.  In an exhausted effort to find any spiritual or mental energy, I went on a drive up one of the nearby creeks and parked at a hiking trail.  I began to walk in the cold summer rain.  It was dark and I didn't know the way very well, but I needed to be absolutely secluded.  As soon as I had gone quite a few steps from my car at the trail head, I wept in frustration.  I did not understand why I was having to fight my current battle.  Tears fell down my face, and disguised themselves in the rain. 

Speaking aloud, I asked God where He had been.  Why had He left me all alone?  Was He even there?  I told Him how badly I was hurting.  I told Him that I could not handle my trials.  I poured my heart out to my Father.

Then, I looked up into the dark sky, and asked, "Where are you?"   

What happened next is a sacred moment that I will carry and cherish close to my heart for the eternities.  I experienced a witness that Heavenly Father is there.  He and His son, Jesus Christ love me.  I will never have to doubt that they are there.  I trust them and love them with all that I am, and want to be good enough to give them all that I have.

This was one of the greatest turning points in my life.  I grew up that day.  None of my problems went away, but I had the Lord on my side.  I trusted Him to guide me the way a Father guides His young child.  Now, when I am hurt, scared, frustrated, or feel alone, I know who to turn to.  I echo the words of the great Book of Mormon prophet Nephi in saying, "Nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted.  My God hath been my support;  he hath led me through mine afflictions... he hath filled me with his love."

I am not perfect-and though I trust and love the Lord, I still fall short.  When we trust the Lord we are willing to act and do something to show Him our love and willingness to follow Him.  This is where I slip up sometimes. 

I asked many of you (via facebook) how you show your Heavenly Father that you trust in Him...

Russell: "By making decisions that defy man's logic but are obedient to God. Like paying tithing."

Melody:  "Doing His will and not your own, no matter what anyone else thinks of you or how much they persecute you."

Elder Perkins:  ‎"Quote from Henry B. Eyring: 'You show your trust in Him when you listen with the intent to learn and repent and then you go and do whatever He asks. If you trust God enough to listen for His message in every sermon, song, and prayer in this conference, you will find ...it. And if you then go and do what He would have you do, your power to trust Him will grow, and in time you will be overwhelmed with gratitude to find that He has come to trust you.' "
Jenn:  "It's the simple things. Like planting a garden because we know it'll grow; it's paying tithing and fasting and listening to that small prompting that may seem so ridiculous at the time. All of these things we may not see immediate blessings of, but by trusting in God, and being obedient to the small things, we can be clay in our Fathers hands and witnesses of great miracles. The Church is true!"

I know that as we act and show Heavenly Father that we trust Him, we will see Him working daily in our lives.  I know that as we are obedient to His commandments we really will come to understand that He will notice everything in our lives-even down to all the hair I lose due to mission stress. 

If you put your trust in God, you will never feel as if you go unnoticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment