Saturday, July 21, 2012

President "Hal"

President Henry B. Eyring 

Henry B. Eyring (known as "Hal" to friends and family) was born in Princeton, New Jersey on May 31, 1933.  He married Kathleen Johnson in 1962.  From 1971-77 he was the President of Ricks College in Rexburg, Idaho.  In October of 1992 he was called to serve as a member of the Seventy.  Three years later on April 1, 1995, he was named to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

He now serves as the First Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and has served in that position faithfully since February 3, 2008.

Known for his intelligence, not only secularly, but also spiritually, President Eyring has been an example of humility, knowledge, wisdom, and obedience.  He strives to follow spiritual promptings.  I have always looked up to President Eyring and his remarkable ability to serve, regardless of situation, age, strength, health, or task.

"Great teachers have shown me how to prepare to keep the oath and covenant when time and age will make it harder. They have shown and taught me how to discipline myself to work harder than I thought I could while I still have health and strength.

"I can’t be a perfect servant every hour, but I can try to give more effort than I thought I could. With that habit formed early on, I will be prepared for trials later. You and I can be prepared with the strength to keep our oath and covenant through the tests that will surely come as we approach the end of life."

No comments:

Post a Comment