Friday, May 20, 2011

O, Take and Seal It

Woke up at 6:20 today.  Sit ups. Shower.  Make up.  Hair.  Cereal.  Study.  Pick out a skirt.  Find a matching shirt.  That one.  No, wait, I don't like this skirt.  It's too tight.  It's too loose.  It's too long.  There, this looks decent.  Grab my shoes.  Fumble with the buckle.  Pack my Scriptures.  Smile.  Pray.  Smile more.  Downstairs.  Out the door by 10:00...

My mornings are routine.  My mornings are ordinary.  My life, however, is anything but normal. 

I spend my day talking to people about church.  I spend 10 hours of my day wearing a skirt, nametag-and carrying a book.  A book that is so precious to me, that I have allowed it to change my usually basic lifestyle into an exhuasting work day.  I've allowed it to change my routine, because when it changed my heart-I knew I had to share it's message. 

The task at hand is not easy.  Many people think of us as salesmen, and have no desire to hear the message of the Book of Mormon.  If only they knew how much happiness it could bring them!

I think of the blessing the Book of Mormon has brought to my life, and I just smile.   I am a debtor to my Savior and to my God.  He and his son have done all for me, and I know I owe them the sacrifice of serving a mission to them.  How could I not serve them?  How could I, after receiving so many blessings from the gospel, turn away and not spread it throughout the world?   I think of the song, Come Thou Fount by Robert Robinson (1735-1790).  The last verse explains my feeling of gratitude pretty well:

Antique Book of Mormon that has
 remained in my family for years
O to grace how great a debtor
daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it for thy courts above.


I owe so much to my Heavenly Father for this book.  For the blessings that it has brought to my life, and to the lives of those I am in contact with daily.  I have such a tendency to go astray.  I am prone to wander.  It doesn't mean I love God any less-just that I have a weakness, that through His grace I can overcome.  My heart is sealed in the Book of Mormon.  My heart is sealed as a testimony of love to my Heavenly Father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment