Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Treasures in Heaven

President Hinckley, the late Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints gave this counsel to parents as they raise their children:

"It is so obvious that the great good and the terrible evil in the world today are the sweet and the bitter fruits of the rearing of yesterday’s children.
"(1) love them, (2) teach them, (3) respect them, and (4) pray with them and for them.

“No power or influence can or ought to be maintained … , only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; …"  (D&C 121:41)

"Behold your little ones, and teach them. I need not remind you that your example will do more than anything else in impressing upon their minds a pattern of life.  'Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.' (Proverbs 22:6)

"Nor let us ever forget the need to respect these, our little ones. Under the revealed word of the Lord, we know they are children of God as we are children of God, deserving of that respect which comes of knowledge of that eternal principle.

"They will need all the strength and all the faith you can give them while they are yet near you."


"Draw near unto me, and I will draw near unto you."  (D&C  88:62)


I miss my family a lot out here.  I have an older sister and six younger brothers.  They have been a huge part of my life, and I wish that I could physically draw near to them.  I know that I will see them again after my mission, but it brings me comfort knowing that though I cannot physically be near them, I can draw myself closer to the Lord as they draw closer to him.  


This picture is of my youngest brother, Brenton and I.  This picture brings back a lot of really great memories.  I wish I could throw him up on my shoulders again and pal around with him all afternoon.  I'm so grateful to have been a part of his young life, and I hope I have been a good example and teacher to him in the gospel.  He is my little treasure. 


President Hinckley also teaches that children are something that we should treasure...


"The story is told that in ancient Rome a group of women were, with vanity, showing their jewels one to another. Among them was Cornelia, the mother of two boys. One of the women said to her, 'And where are your jewels?' To which Cornelia responded, pointing to her sons, 'These are my jewels.' Under her tutelage and walking after the virtues of her life, they grew to become Gaius and Tiberius Gracchus—the Gracchi, as they were called—two of the most persuasive and effective reformers in Roman history. For as long as they are remembered and spoken of, the mother who reared them after the manner of her own life will be remembered and spoken of with praise also."


I love this story.  I'm so grateful to parents who treasured me, and taught me to treasure my siblings.  This week I have really missed my two youngest brothers, Ian and Brenton.  I pray for them every night, that they will grow.  Not just grow physically, but I pray that their souls and spirits may grow, and that they will be watched over by their Heavenly Father until I can return to them and hug them tightly!

No comments:

Post a Comment