Saturday, January 21, 2012

#3: A Sister Called Kate

The third reason that I know why God loves me is because He gave me a sister.  Her name is Katrina but she goes by Kate.  I have my own nicknames for her, but for her sake, we'll stick with Kate. 

Now, she's no ordinary big sister, she's MY big sister!  And she's pretty cool.  She's a news producer for a big local station in Utah and she's only 23!  Not only that, but she is one of the hardest working women I've ever seen.  When she was blessed as a baby, my dad blessed her to be a hard working daughter.  She definitely is! 

Kate is an incredible cook.  If she wants to figure out something to make, she'll make it.  In one letter she told me she had attempted to bake a delectable cheesecake that took 7 hours to cook!  Talk about talent AND patience.

She has done so much for me.  I love her.  Kate has been an example to me.  I remember one night I had a particularly rough day.  She invited me to come over and watch a movie with her.  To this day, that night remains a precious memory for me.  We just sat and talked.  She made homemade popcorn, let me cry a little, and spent the rest of her evening hanging out with me-her little sister.  There were probably a million other things she could have been doing, but she chose to spend a few hours comforting and consoling me. 

Some might find this picture embarrassing.  This was taken the day before I left for my mission, right as I was saying goodbye to my beautiful sister!  So ya, I bawled like a baby...  And she still has her dazzling smile on!

She's always encouraged me to be the best I can be.  Her letters always lift me up-not to mention they are hilarious!

Here are some of my favorite notes she has written me:

"Time flies.  Enjoy each moment of your life because if you don't you'll miss something."

"Did you know that you can't bring water to elephants?  Instead you have to bring the elephant to the water!"

"Thanks for giving me courage and strength this week.  Let me explain."  While running the half marathon this week our song came on.  What's our song you might ask?  It's 'Stuck Like Glue' by Sugarland.  I know it's a love song, but if you think about the lyrics, it's actually a song about sisters.  So our song gave me strength to get to mile 10."

"Ever wonder why...
  • The sun lightens our hair, but darkens our skin? 
  • 'Abbreviated' is such a long word? 
  • They are called apartments when they are all stuck together?"



And my favorite....

"Sister Joy, I'm so grateful we're sisters and friends!  Chance made us sisters, hearts made us friends!  Love you..."

I'm so lucky to have her.  I know God loves me because he sent one of His most precious and choice daughters to my life, to lead me, to comfort me, to write me sweet letters, to run half marathons thinking about me, to bake cookies for me, send me random packages full of trinkets and chocolate, but most importantly to show me that she loves me. 

I'm grateful for my Sister Kate.  She is my best friend in the whole world.  She's the most Christlike person I have ever met in my life.  Though I miss her, I know we are each where God wants us to be.  We will bless each other as we serve in the Lord's cause.   


1 comment: