Saturday, July 14, 2012

"Dear Self..."

A year ago, I was making some big changes in my life.  I was thrilled with the excitement I felt, and the wonderful spirit that was in my heart!  I didn't want to lose the way I felt or the warmness that filled my soul.  I was so happy! 

It was then that I found a talk by Elder Dallin H. Oaks titled, "The Challenge to Become."  As I rea through the talk, it struck me that I was becoming something.  I was becoming the woman that Heavenly Father wanted me to be.  The thought also came that this pursuit would be a life-long development.  This challenge to become more than I was, became an exciting adventure. 

One morning, I decided to get out a piece of paper and pen, and write myself a letter.  It was a long letter.  I wrote down the desires of my heart and the things that I loved.  I smiled, remembering the wonderful events, people, and things in life that made me so happy. Then I wrote down the hard lessons I learned.  Tears filled my eyes as I remembered past mistakes, regrets, sorrows, trials, and challenges. 
It was in those hard moments that I was able to look back and realize what I had become because of them. 

I then wrote down goals, things I wanted to accomplish, habits I wanted to continue doing, as well as old poor habits I wanted to keep out of my life. 



I signed my letter, sealed it up, and wrote a date on the envelope of when I would allow myself to read my letter.

This letter has become a treasure to me.  Though I cannot recall everything I wrote in it, I do remember the way I felt as I wrote it.  It is a constant reminder to be willing to change, grow and become.  Having that letter within daily sight has motivated me to be a little kinder, a littler happier, a little more repentant, a little more willing, to work just a little harder, and see things a little differently.

I love my Father in Heaven for challenging me to become something great-a daughter in His Kingdom.  I am grateful that He sees such potential in each of us.



I challenge you to read this talk, (It's linked up yo!) write yourself a letter, seal it up, and save it for a rainy day. 


1 comment:

  1. I read this talk 2 weeks ago at Lake Powell & loved it. Then headed off to Girls Camp with your wonderful mom! I loved hearing about all of the things you have become while on your mission! I can't wait to see you!
    Love,
    Becky Johnson

    ReplyDelete